Apply online: Get BARMER Health Insurance
Good health is a precious commodity. Preventive healthcare and access to the best available medical treatments are essential to our quality of life. That‘s why at BARMER, we take healthcare to the next level – by providing our members with award-winning services and a wide range of extra benefits.
BARMER is your gateway to one of the best healthcare systems in the world, with German hospitals and physicians offering the highest quality of care available. As a patient, you can even choose which doctor or specialist you wish to visit.
In Germany, health insurance, long-term care insurance, accident insurance, pension insurance and unemployment insurance are mandatory. Around 9 million members place their trust in BARMER. And there are many reasons for you to do the same.
How it works
As soon as you know that you will move to Germany we can start your process – already in your home country.
- Complete the BARMER application form below.
- BARMER will send you a notification that they received your application. Within 24 hours you will receive the membership confirmation from BARMER for VISA, your employer, and yourself. They immediately apply also for your social security number.
- BARMER will ask you for a photo for your electronic health insurance card. BARMER will upload the photo for you as a service.
Your advantages as a BARMER member
All kinds of challenges may arise in your professional life. With BARMER, you can rest assured that you‘re in safe hands with complete health cover. We work with the best medical professionals, and our healthcare and treatment plans are especially varied and flexible. Digital services, like the BARMER App, support you in everyday life, promote your health and improve your work/life balance.
How do I benefit from changing to TK?
- The best medical care and expertise, nationwide
- 100 percent reimbursement of the costs for travel vaccinations
- Naturopathic and alternative medicine
- 24/7 Teledoctor
- 7Mind – one year for free
- The BARMER App – manage all important communication from wherever you are
- Rest well with our sleeping aid
- Receive a payout of up to 100 euros or other attractive bonuses each year:
- Optional tariff – up to 100 euros cashback annually
- Lifelong learning – allowances for health-promoting courses up to 200 € a year
Do you have any further questions about getting BARMER German public health insurance?
Our BARMER team will be glad to answer the questions you may have in person. You can reach us around the clock, 365 days a year.
How much does it cost
For employees: The general contribution rate in 2024 is 14.6 percent of your gross monthly earnings. BARMER’s additional individual contribution rate is 2,19 percent. This means that BARMER members benefit from a consistently high quality of benefits and excellent customer service.
For students: If you are younger than 25, you are usually automatically covered by your parents’ family insurance – free of charge, of course. Are you older or do you earn more than 520 euros per month as a working student? Then you need your own health and nursing care insurance for students. From October 2022 on, students pay a monthly contribution of €128,38 (under the age of 23 or with children) or €133,25 (from the age of 23 and without children).
How do I pay for my insurance?
Employees: A certain percentage of your gross income will automatically be withdrawn.
Students: You can eather transfer the contribution yourself or you would like us to debit it from your account. It is always debited on the 15th of the following month.