Are you looking for a health insurance fund that offers you more than the usual standard? When it comes to protecting your health, do you want a partner who puts your interests and needs first, right from the outset?
Then Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) may be exactly the right choice for you. We are a modern health service provider where strong benefits, expert advice and convenient service are closely linked.
As a public body, TK’s work is neither profit-oriented nor does it have an obligation towards shareholders. We see ourselves as representing our policyholders’ interests and our goal is to put their contributions to the most efficient use possible at all times.
How it works
Make sure you have health insurance cover from your very first day in Germany. For immediate health insurance membership, please do the following:
- Complete application further below.
- We will send you confirmation of your membership application by return. If necessary, provide us with any documents required.
- We forward everything to the TK.
- After checking your documents, you will receive the insurance confirmation from the Techniker Krankenkasse.
You can upload your passport photo online. For this you need a 10-digit number that you automatically get from TK once your membership application is received by TK.
Your advantages as a TK member
How do I benefit from changing to TK?
New people, a new language, a new culture and new tasks – when you come to Germany for the first time you will be flooded with many impressions. We will assist you with any questions about your health insurance to make your stay as easy as possible.
Changing your health insurance to TK offers you many advantages because we provide you with a comprehensive range of benefits that are tailored to your personal situation and your individual needs, such as
- free choice of specialist physicians and dentists – provided they are accredited statutory health insurance doctors
- treatment in licensed hospitals
- payment of recognised alternative medicine
- medical check-ups
- health insurance cover when traveling to other EU Member States
- TK-TravelMediCall – for instance, if you require information on vaccination
See our Leaflet [PDF, English].
Do you have any further questions about getting TK German public health insurance?
Our TK team will be glad to answer the questions you may have in person. You can reach us around the clock, 365 days a year.
How much does it cost
For employees: The following regulations apply to contributions to statutory health insurance. Employers and employees pay an equal share towards the standard rate of premium of 14.6 per cent that applies throughout Germany.
Above and beyond this, each health insurance fund can charge an individual additional premium, which is paid by the policyholder alone. TK’s additional premium is set at only 1.2 per cent. As employee, you pay 7.9 per cent of your gross monthly income, while your employer pays 7.9 per cent of it.
The total contribution of 15.8 per cent is collected by your employer as part of payroll settlement. The contribution towards long-term care insurance is 3.05 per cent. People over the age of 23 who have no children pay an additional premium of 0.35 per cent.
For students: As a student, you are well secured for a favorable student contribution. Care insurance and health insurance 117,50 € per month; if you are older than 23 years 120,34 €.
TK Services & Contributions (PDF)
- TK Health Insurance Leaflet
- TK Services and benefits from A to Z
- TK Appointment Service
- TK Bonus Plan
- TK eHealth Card – the key to our services
- Leaflet Non-contributory dependants insurance
- TK Application Non-contributory Dependants Co-insurance
The application must be filled in completely. The picture for the insurance card must be on the application. Send the documents together to the following address: